Goal driven and dedicated bilingual professional offering practical and progressive career success as a collegiate and professional basketball player and coach, calling upon expertise gained from working with Hugh Durham, Billy Cunningham, Phil Jackson, and Dr. Jack Ramsey. Recognized for propelling performance to unprecedented levels through hands on leadership and aggressive training and development initiatives. Talented in applying player and program assessment to optimize individual player and overall team development, achieving the trust and confidence of parents, school administrators, and the community. Actively employ superior communication and team building skills to oversee assistant coaches and work with volunteers, Board Members, and referees. Thrive on challenging opportunities to resolve problems within fast paced work environments.
ATHENS ACADEMY – Athens, Georgia 1998 – Present
Head Basketball Coach, Varsity Boys 2006 – Present
- Merited repeated advancement by this private college preparatory school with enrollment of 936 students to direct all aspects of the varsity boys basketball program, which involves coordinating player development, managing an assistant coach, overseeing facility maintenance, communicating with school administrators and teachers, reviewing game and practice tapes, and developing game plans.
- Maintain open and effective avenues of communication with players, parents, and school representatives, which has fostered an atmosphere of true caring about the overall well being of players, both on and off the court.
- Develop innovative new drills for training, covering dribbling, passing, shooting defense, and rebounding, instructing the team in balance, mental preparation before and after games to optimize their performance.
- Developed the team and players to several meritorious honors, such as:
- Coached a player to selection for the 2006 / 2007 All-Star Game
- Team won Regional Championship in first year as Head Coach
- Team went to the State Play-Off 2006 / 2007 and 2007 / 2008
- Team went to the 2nd Round of the State Play-Off 2008 / 2009
- Merited several awards for exemplary coaching, including:
- Athens-Banner Herald High School Basketball Coach of the Year, 2009
- 2008 Georgia North-South All-Stars Assistant Coach – The State of Georgia
- 2007 / 2008 Region 8A Basketball Coach of the Year, out of 11 teams
- 2006 / 2007 Region 8A Basketball Coach of the Year, out of 11 teams
Assistant Basketball Coach, Varsity Boys 2001 – 2006
- Chosen due to extensive basketball expertise and effective communication skills to contribute to development of varsity basketball players by reviewing game and practice films in collaboration with the head coach, preparing the gym for practices and games, and occasionally transporting the team on the team bus.
Head Coach Junior Varsity / Assistant Coach of Varsity Basketball 1999 – 2000
- Advanced to serve as Head Coach for Women’s Junior Varsity basketball team, and Assistant Coach for Women’s Varsity Basketball team grades 9-11.
- Routinely developed new curriculum for the class to teach them key basketball concepts such as the importance of positive visualization, mental guarding of opponents, stretching, and inseparable teamwork.
- Incorporated extensive basketball training into agenda, creating drills on dribbling, passing, shooting, defense, and rebounding, teaching balance or mental preparation before and after game to strengthen performance.
- Responsible for resolving any problems or grievances with the players, parents, and referees.
RUTLAND PSYCHO-EDUCATIONAL PROGRAM – Athens, Georgia 2002 – 2004
- Assisted in the development of class curriculum involving reading, writing, arithmetic
- Facilitated the creation of a boys’ group for troubled boys needing a positive role model; met with the boys on a regular basis to lead games, share meals, and individual talks.
APALACHEE HIGH SCHOOL – Winder, Georgia 2000 – 2001
Assistant Basketball Coach, Varsity Boys
- Joined this school with a student body of 1,200 in its first year of existence to play a key role in the development of the basketball program, driving the players to play with confidence, winning many games in their inaugural season that many didn’t think was possible.
Assistant P.E. Coach of Basketball 1998 – 1999
- Successfully instructed 6th, 7th, and 8th grade boys and girls on the fundamentals of basketball.
- Assisted in the development of class curriculum involving the regulations, concepts, and standard training procedures of basketball.
- Independently developed and implemented lesson plans for classes of up to 28 students on all aspects of basketball, explaining and demonstrating proper techniques.
YMCA – Athens, Georgia 1989 – 1998
Basketball Coordinator 1998 – 1999
- Directed the basketball program for more than 365 children and coordinated the efforts of the coaching staff, the team, and parents to ensure the success of the program.
- Recruited, trained, and evaluated a coaching staff of 35; provided ongoing training and development of the staff, recommending drills to enhance team performance.
- Maintained constant contact with coaches and players and resolved any problems within the program and handled any parental concerns.
- Managed all aspects of the program from scheduling all practices and games and assigning referees and scorekeepers to coordinating uniform selection and ordering for the season.
- Played an active role in tryouts for all-star teams, supervising the coaches and providing advice that assisted them in selection decisions.
- Initiated the Annual James Banks Basketball Camp.
- Fostered social responsibility and acceptance as well as teamwork and healthy competition between kids during basketball sessions by strategically developing teams; parents commented that kids were happy and learned valuable life skills over the course of the session.
Recreational Counselor 1989 – 1998
- Instructed boys and girls ages 6 – 14 in the basic skills necessary to play basketball by providing hands-on teaching and through stations to prepare them for competitive games.]
VERN FLEMING BAKSETBALL – Indianapolis, Indiana
Summers 1997, 1998 Recreational Counselor
- Worked extensively with girls ages 10 – 14, developing their fundamental basketball skills by designing stations that allowed them to practice and enhance their skills by isolating and repeating individual skills.
BASKETBALL HIGHLIGHTS, HONORS, AND AWARDS
Built a distinguished basketball career, from high school through college and Professional play, including:
- 1988 – 1999 French League (Berck, Nancy, Caen, Evreux)
- 1987 – 1988 Belgium League (Brussel)
- 1983 – 1988 Continental Basketball Association (Tampa Bay, Florida; Albany, New York; Cincinnati, Ohio)
Professional Basketball Awards:
- 1996 – 1997 Most Points Scored in France, Pro A (45ppg)
- 1995 – 1996 Most Points Scored in France, Pro A (44ppg)
- 1994 – 1995 Best Foreign Player in France, Pro B
- 1993 – 1994 Best Foreign Player in France, Pro B
- 1990 – 1991 Best Scorer in France, Pro B (30ppg)
- 1989 – 1990 Best Scorer in France, Pro B (33ppg)
College Basketball Awards:
- 2003 Chick-fil-A SEC Basketball Legend
- 4 year Letterman, UGA
- 1984 Playboy All-American
- MVP Cotton States Insurance Classic 1983
- MVP East Regional NCAA Semi-final 1983
- Final Four Appearance, UGA, 1983
High School Basketball Awards:
- Georgia High School Player of the Year 1980
- McDonald High School All-American 1980
- High School All-American 1980
- Georgia High School All-Star 1980
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS, AND PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA – Athens, Georgia
PIEDMONT COLLEGE – Athens, Georgia 2004
Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
NATIONAL SAFETY COUNCIL
NATIONAL SAFETY COUNCIL – Athens, Georgia 1999 – 2011
Certified in First Aid
AMERICAN SPORT EDUCATION PROGRAM – Athens, Georgia 1999
Award of completion of Sport First Aid Course
Award of completion of Coaching Principles
GEORGIA ATHLETIC COACHES ASSOCIATION 1998 – 2011
NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF BASKETBALL COACHES 2005 – 2011